News

Heart of Kennington Residents’ Association

(hokresidents@googlemail.com)


Autumn 2018 Newsletter

Save these dates in 2019: the committee has discussed the dates for the 2019 AGM and summer party. For the AGM, we agreed to stick with the new tradition and hold the meeting on Tuesday 26 March 2019 in the early evening as usual. Thanks to the absences in June of some key committee members, we are having a real break with tradition for the summer party which will be on Saturday 6 July 2019. Please put both dates in your diaries and we hope that you can all cope with the change of the date of the party. You will be reminded of the dates nearer the time.


2018 summer party. It turned out to be one of the hotter days of a hot summer and there was an excellent turnout. All the food was eaten and a lot of drink was sold. Thanks again to all those committee members, residents and friends who helped with the bar, barbecue, cake stall and raffle, not to mention that delicious slow roast pork of which we had two lots – very much appreciated.

Your collective generosity and free-spending habits meant that we made just over £700, a welcome addition to our coffers.


The party is the only opportunity we have during the year to raise money and we have plans for spending some of our reserves – see below about street trees and Christmas donations.

Suggestions of local good causes that we might help are always welcome, so please tell any of the committee if you have other ideas.

To view pictures from the party click here


Trees. Some of you will have noticed that we have at least three dead street trees and some that badly need pruning. A couple of years ago, we offered to pay for replacing three other dead trees but as Lambeth found the money for that, we still have more money in reserve than usual. Via local councillor David Amos we have therefore offered to pay for replacements for the current three dead trees (at the going rate of £440 per tree which includes three years' maintenance) and Lambeth have accepted that offer. The new trees should arrive during the current planting season (ie by the end of March) and we will ensure that they are of suitable species. We will also be asking nearby residents to water the new arrivals when they appear.


Several residents have noticed that some of the trees need pruning as they are hanging down over the pavements at head level. Lambeth have told us that there is a regular pruning cycle but we have asked that the overhanging trees should be done anyway. We will keep nagging as it needs to be done as soon as the leaves have fallen.


Fallen leaves and snow wardens. Last autumn, Veolia, Lambeth’s waste contractor, made arrangements for us to be supplied with bags for fallen leaves and collected the full bags. We are about to get the bags and will notify everyone about where to collect them.


We have also been told by Lambeth that they will be asking for more snow wardens in case of cold weather this winter. At least two of our former wardens are no longer available so new volunteers will be needed, particularly in Methley and Radcot Streets. We have asked for details and will get in touch as soon as we hear more. You do not need to be super-fit to do it and Lambeth supply all the necessary equipment.


Christmas donations. We will be making our usual donations to Secret Santa (which provides vouchers for needy families to use in local shops) and to ChangeUp.


Northern Line extension. The Community Liaison Group meeting on 8 October was not well attended and we have suggested that the meetings should in future be held somewhere like the Durning library where there is easier public access than in a school (we know that at least two people gave up as they could not get in). Mabel Garcia on the FLO helpline has sadly moved on but she has been replaced by Carla Arnold who has been working on the project for some time. Things seem to be more or less on schedule and the re-landscaping of Kennnington Green should start in the summer of 2020 as originally planned.


If you are having problems with cracks or other damage in you property from the tunnelling and have not already contacted TfL, you should contact Michael Flynn (Michael Tarrega’s replacement) on SMBNLE@tfl.gov.uk.


Noise from trains on the Kennington loop. We raised the question of the ever-increasing noise levels from trains on the Kennington loop at the CLG as TfL have accepted that one of the likely causes is the void round the NLE’s step plate junction under Ravensdon/Radcot Streets. More properties in our area are now affected than previously and the cluster of properties over the loop itself and the step plate junction are particularly badly affected. TfL have agreed to arrange a meeting with a track engineer in one of the worst affected properties so that they can experience for themselves what is now happening. We are also exploring possible legal remedies that might encourage TfL to take the problem more seriously. If you want the noise levels in your property measured, you should contact Michael Flynn, preferably by e-mail as that e-mail address is regularly monitored.


Rats and other vermin. There are still plenty of rats around, so yet another request to wrap food waste securely and not feed the foxes. You should also clear up regularly around bird feeders if you have one. If you think the rats are finding their way to your property via the drains, Thames Water’s website has some suggestions about what to do, as has Lambeth’s:

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/Help-and-Advice/Drains-and-Sewers/Rodents

https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/community-safety-and-anti-social-behaviour/animals-and-pests/arrange-a-pest-control-visit

You can put down bait yourself in your own property but please make sure that you put it where cats and dogs can’t get at it. We have asked our local councillors to intervene but have so far heard nothing more, although they are well aware of the problem. We also asked TfL/FLO at the CLG meeting to put down bait at their two sites and they said they were already doing that.


Priscilla Baines

Chair, HoK Residents’ Association


Heart of Kennington Residents’ Association

(hokresidents@googlemail.com)


August 2017 Update

Welcome to all new arrivals in our area


Summer party. Thanks to all those who came to the summer party which now seems a long time ago but there are still happy memories, especially of our luck with the weather. Thanks also to everyone who helped with various tasks, including the clearing up. We made a record profit of about £1,000; if you have any ideas about local causes to which we might contribute, or other things on which the money might be spent, please tell us (this e-mail address will do).

You can see some reminders of the party here

Pests old and new. The Wigton Place empty site is about to be re-developed and is already being cleared. That has displaced the foxes that were living there but there are still plenty of them around, so please do not put your rubbish out earlier than necessary and make sure that any food waste is securely wrapped. Quite a few rats have also been seen in the area, so a repeated request not to feed the foxes as the rats do not know that the food is not for them and it only encourages them. Unfortunately Lambeth no longer deal with rats so if you see them in your garden, you will have to deal with them yourself. There are specialist pest control firms that will visit (at a price) and Morans sell various forms of rat poison approved for domestic use.

There is also a new pest, the box tree caterpillar, which has recently arrived in the area and already seen off several box plants in our streets. For more information, see the Royal Horticultural Society website (https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=760). There are pesticides that will deal with it (see https://www.ebts.org/2016/05/box-tree-moths-plague) but if your bushes have already been shredded, it is probably too late.

Alleyway at the back of 355-365 Kennington Road. Thanks to the efforts of a Milverton Street resident, Peter Morgan, helped by Stephen Waring, the accumulated rubbish that was in the alleyway at the back of 355-365 Kennington Road has been cleared, mainly by Peter, and a padlock placed on the door. Stephen has also re-painted the door. The Residents' Association has used some of the party profits to pay for the removal of the rubbish, of which there was a large amount. Our grateful thanks to Peter and Stephen as it was a lot of work.

We have established that the alleyway does not belong to anyone but it needs to be kept clear as it is a fire escape for the properties that back onto it. There are also manholes, gas flues and other utilities to which access is needed. Keys to the padlock are available for the occupiers of those properties (some keys have already been distributed - if you live in a relevant property and need one, please e-mail the Association and we will deliver one).

Security. It is the summer holiday season, so please remember to secure your property if you go away and ask your neighbours to keep an eye open for anything suspicious. If you see suspected criminal activity happening, ring 999, otherwise 101 to report a crime.

Have good holidays,

Priscilla Baines and the rest of the committee,

Chairman: Priscilla Baines

E-mail: pjbaines@gmail.com

Click here to download the HOKRA 2017 Chairman's Report

Heart of Kennington Residents’ Association

(hokresidents@googlemail.com)


Christmas 2016 Newsletter

Welcome to all new arrivals in our area


Save the dates – our AGM 13/03/17

The committee has agreed that our 2017 annual general meeting should be on Monday 13 March 2017.

As last year, that is earlier than some years because of the unavoidable absences of a couple of key committee members later in March. We will shortly be sending an electronic notification of the date. There will also be a notification of summer party which will be on 17 June 2017 so please save those two dates.


The minutes of our 2016 AGM are attached, with apologies for the delayed distribution.

Our 2016 summer party seems a long time ago but went very well and we made a good profit – thanks to everyone who donated raffle prizes and bought raffle tickets. The weather was kind and there was a good turnout, as well as some delicious food. Out of the profits we are again making a donation on behalf of the Association to Secret Santa, which gives Christmas vouchers to local families, and to Roots & Shoots for the loan of their tables.

Northern Line extension. TfL and their contractors, Ferrovial Laing O’Rourke (FLO), have told us that they are a little ahead of schedule with the construction of this end of the NLE. That should be good news, although who knows? Tunnelling on the main stretches of the new lines will start from near Battersea Power Station early in 2017, although that should not directly affect us.

As you will all know, there has been a lot of recent local activity connected with the construction of the step plate junction underneath Radcot Street: the men in hi-vis jackets are around daily doing their measurements. Although the noisiest and most disruptive part of the work is said to be over, the junction will not be complete until around December 2017. Between now and then, there will be continuing periods when we can expect underground construction noise and the possibility of more ground movements that will affect our properties.

A significant number of properties is already experiencing cracks, sticking doors and windows and so on. Anyone noticing new cracks etc should contact TfL/FLO without delay. The best people are Mabel Garcia (mabel.garcia@team-flo.com) or the 24-hour helpline (NLE 24/7 HELPDESK 0343 222 2424) which seems to produce the quickest response.

In the new year, we will be contacting TfL/FLO to urge them to produce a detailed timetable for the next few months of the construction period. We have almost all recently had leaflets through our letter-boxes but as always it has been too little and often too late. There have also been several worrying cases where it is obvious that records of property ownership are incomplete or wrong and we will be pursuing that.

There is the separate problem of the noise from trains on the Kennington loop which in quite a few properties is now worse than it has ever been despite the re-railing that was done in November. As the loop will continue to be used as now until 2020 when the NLE comes into operation, we do not want to have to put up with these noise levels for another three or four years. We will be raising these and any other relevant issues at the next Community Liaison Group meeting on 24 January 2017 at 6.00 pm.

Ravensdon Street closure. As reported at the 2016 AGM, TfL and Lambeth extended the experimental closure of the Ravensdon Street/Kennington Park Road junction and it is still in operation. We have been told that soon after Christmas, TfL/Lambeth will write to all residents with proposals for a permanent closure. Residents will be able to respond with their views. TfL/Lambeth are considering the installation of permanent bollards as there are still quite a few unauthorised users of the present removable ones. The closure proposals will include complementary measures such as road markings and improved signage which is much needed.

The residents of Kennington Park Road are also pursuing the possibility of reinstating the left turn at the Kennington Road/Kennington Park Road that was banned as part of the new cycle routes. The ban is causing a lot of traffic problems for the area but so far there has been no progress in getting it altered as it is said to be an essential part of the cycle route.

Leaf sweeping. Like quite a few local residents, we have raised with our local councillors the need for the leaves to be swept up in the autumn, as well as for more frequent sweeping of our streets. They have told us repeatedly budget cuts prevent regular street cleansing and don’t see that it is a false economy as blocked drains cause floods and the pavements are dangerous when leaves get wet. Please keep up the pressure as numbers do count in these cases.

Charlie's Patch. Thanks to those residents who helped to put Charlie’s Patch to bed for the winter. It is still looking very good and thanks also to those who have helped with watering which has been much needed during the summer. The Association has donated £100 towards the upkeep of the Patch and new planting in the spring.

Street trees. During the summer, Lambeth removed the dead hawthorns in Methley and Ravensdon Streets and the over-large sycamore outside 21 Methley Street. They have all been replaced at Lambeth’s expense with more suitable species and there is also a completely new tree in Milverton Street. The newly planted trees all seem to have survived the summer and thanks to those residents who watered them when they needed it. The hibiscus in Milverton and Ravensdon Streets have flowered beautifully which was an unexpected pleasure. Lambeth’s tree officer has said he will check all the trees to decide which older ones need pruning. Please tell me if there are any that look as though they need attention. We still have some money in reserve for new or replacement trees but at the moment it does not look as though we need any. If there are problems about trees close to telephone wires, contact BT first as they prefer to do that sort of trimming themselves.

Noise. It is the party season so please consider your neighbours and remember that sound travels between our houses as well as into the streets and gardens. If you have parties, they should end at a reasonable hour and not disturb your neighbours. Lambeth's noise team is vigilant and can be summoned if noise levels are too high or go on too late at night.

Neighbourhood Watch. Our crime figures are still low but properties that are unoccupied while owners are away are always at risk. Please ensure that your windows are properly secured and that any accessible ground floor windows are closed at night as well as when properties are unoccupied. Those of you who are around should keep an eye on neighbouring properties, particularly over Christmas/New Year when many properties are unoccupied, and report any suspicious activities to the police (999 for emergencies, otherwise 101) and our coordinator, Andy Furnival (20 Aulton Place, e-mail andrewfurnival@hotmail.com). They should also be notified if you have been a victim of any local crime or see criminal activity in the area.

Rubbish collection. Our rubbish is normally collected on Tuesday mornings at varying times, white sacks for recycling and black ones for household waste. If possible, put your rubbish out early on Tuesday morning rather than the night before as the foxes and cats are currently very active. In any case, please do not put rubbish out for collection until after 8.00 pm on Monday nights and wrap any food waste securely.

Bottles and any food containers sent for recycling should be properly rinsed and any contaminated paper or cardboard containers should be put with the household waste. Bulky waste and garden waste, for which there are charges, are collected separately – ring 7926 9000 or e-mail streetcarecallcentre@lambeth.gov.uk to arrange collection. Garden waste is collected on the same day as the other rubbish.

We are awaiting confirmation from our councillors that we will continue to be able to use plastic sacks for our rubbish and will not re required in future to use wheelie bins. If you use a bin of any kind (we are not issued with wheelie bins as most of us have no off-street storage for them), please do not leave it on the pavement once the rubbish has been collected. Our pavements are narrow and the bins cause a real nuisance. We do not have a separate food waste system here so do not ask for a bin as they are unlikely to be collected.

E-mail addresses. We agreed at the 2015 AGM that we would no longer send hard copies of the newsletter to anyone other than the few residents that we know do not have e-mail. We now have e-mail addresses for well over half our residents and if you have neighbours who are not on our address list, please tell them to contact the e-mail address above. We do not pass on e-mail addresses to other organisations or individuals.

And apologies that this newsletter is so late – blame the NLE for taking so much collective time. Please pass it on to anyone who is not on our mailing list.

Priscilla Baines and the rest of the committee,

Chairman: Priscilla Baines

E-mail: pjbaines@gmail.com

Click on the link below to download a copy of this newsletter and the 2016 AGM minutes:

AGM Minutes 2016.docx AGM Minutes 2016.docx
Size : 15.731 Kb
Type : docx
Christmas 2016 newsletter.doc Christmas 2016 newsletter.doc
Size : 55 Kb
Type : doc

Heart of Kennington Residents’ Association

(hokresidents@googlemail.com)


May 2016 Newsletter

Welcome to all new arrivals in our area

Reminder - Summer Party on 18 June 2016

6.00 - 8.30 pm at the corner of Methley and Radcot Streets


We hope you have already saved the date – if not, please do it now. The committee has been preparing - a band is being arranged and the food and drink, including once again Natasha and Barnaby's slow roast pork, are under control. There will be the usual raffle with good prizes. The bunting will go up a week before to remind you and we are looking forward to seeing everyone there. All residents welcome and please bring guests if you want.

This is the first call for volunteers to help with the bar, barbecue, cake stall and raffles. You will not have to do more than half an hour and if you want to help, please tell Stephen Waring (waring.stephen@gmail.com), if possible by the end of May. Please also tell him if you want a particular time-slot. He will circulate a rota to helpers a few days before.

We are also planning to have some events for children. If you know of anyone who can do face painting or other activities, please tell me (

), also by the end of May.

Cakes for the cake stall to Jane Leonard (6 Milverton) on the morning if possible. If you want your plate back afterwards, please put a label underneath with your name and address.

Residents’ Association officers and committee. Thanks to everyone who attended our AGM on 14 March and heard a joint presentation from Michael Keane, of the Vauxhall Society, and Helen Irwin, of the campaign to save Vauxhall bus station.

Priscilla Baines was re-elected as chairman and Henry Ashwin, Adam Barriball, Jane Leonard, Hilary Schofield and Stephen Waring were re-elected to the committee. Robert Buxton, who has left the area, has been replaced by Andy Furnival of 20 Aulton Place who has also taken over as our Neighbourhood Watch coordinator and looks after our website. Harry Briggs (of 2 Stannary Street) was elected for the first time and is keeping an eye on the OAKDA development on our behalf. Stephen Waring has agreed to continue to serve as secretary and Hilary Schofield as treasurer. The minutes are available on the Association’s website.

Closure of Ravensdon Street. As reported at the AGM, TfL have extended the experimental closure of the Ravensdon Street/Kennington Park Road junction until October 2016; there will be public consultations before the final decision is taken. TfL are also discussing with Lambeth the installation of permanent bollards as there are still quite a few unauthorised users of the present removable ones.

Trees. Two new trees have already been planted, one in Milverton Street and one in Ravensdon Street. The two dead hawthorns (one in Methley and one in Ravensdon Street) and the over-large sycamore tree in Methley Street have at last been removed. We have been told that replacements should be planted this month. All the new ones will need watering, especially in dry weather, so if you live nearby, please look after them. Lambeth have turned out to have enough funding for this year's planting, so we have agreed to keep the cash that we have reserved for tree planting until next year.

‘Charlie’s Patch’ (on the corner of Bowden and Methley Streets). Thanks to those who helped Cleaver Square residents with the annual spring-clean of Charlie’s patch which is again looking wonderful. It is very helpful if those who live nearby can keep an eye on the plants and water any that look dry.

Kennington Park Road Residents' Association. Welcome to the Kennington Park Road Residents' Association which is in the process of being set up. Their launch meeting on 4 May showed that we have a many common interests, including the effects of the Northern Line extension and developments at Kennington station, traffic congestion in Kennington Park Road and other streets nearby, and the impact of cycle routes on traffic circulation

Noise. With the arrival of warmer weather people tend to use their gardens more, especially in the evenings and at weekends. Please be considerate of your neighbours, remember that sound travels out of doors, and that your neighbours are entitled to a quiet night's sleep. Parties should end at reasonable hours and noise levels should be kept down at all times. If you are bothered by noisy events, you should ring Lambeth council's noise team: 020 7926 6111 (9.00 am - 5.00 pm) and 020 7926 5999 (8.00 pm to 4.00 am). If the noise persists, particularly at night, or there are serious street disturbances, you can call the police (101) but that is a last resort and they normally have other priorities so are unlikely to attend.

Security. With the warmer weather, please take proper precautions to secure your property and alert your neighbours if you will be away. Do not leave any windows, especially those facing onto the street, open when your property is unoccupied and close all lower windows at night. Lock your bikes even when off the street and make sure that garden sheds etc are properly secured.

Neighbourhood Watch. Please notify our co-ordinator, Andy Furnival, 20 Aulton Place (andrewfurnival@hotmail.com), as well as the police if you have been a victim of any local crime or see criminal activity in the area. Please also make sure that you do not leave valuables in your car as car crime is still common. To report a crime to the local police, ring 101.

Rubbish collection. The usual reminder, particularly to new arrivals, that rubbish collection day is Tuesday. Times vary but usually by around 11.00 am and sometimes before 8.00 am. Lambeth council ask that we do not put rubbish out for collection until after 8.00 pm on Monday nights and that we wrap any food waste securely. We are not currently part of Lambeth's food waste scheme, so any food waste should be included in the general household waste. Please do not put rubbish of any kind out at other times as it encourages the foxes, cats, squirrels and crows to attack the bags and spread litter. Recycling should be in the white sacks supplied by Lambeth and normal household waste in black sacks.

Our houses do not have adequate off-street storage so we cannot have wheelie bins. As our pavements are narrow, if you use a bin of any kind, please remove it from the pavement immediately after the rubbish has been collected.

Bulky waste and garden waste, for which there are charges, are collected separately, garden waste on Tuesday mornings – ring 7926 9000 or e-mail streetcarecallcentre@lambeth.gov.uk to arrange bags for garden waste and for collection of bulky waste.

Communications with residents

At the AGM it was agreed that we should use e-mail for most communications to residents but make occasional paper deliveries to everyone, for example to notify residents about the AGM and the summer party. If you know any neighbours who are not on the e-mail address list and want to get communications from the Association, please urge them to send me their details, including their postal address. We do not pass on e-mail addresses to other organisations or individuals. We will of course continue to do hand deliveries to those residents without e-mail. Priscilla Baines Chairman 11 Ravensdon Street, SE11 4AQ pjbaines@gmail.com


Chairman: Priscilla Baines

E-mail: pjbaines@gmail.com

Click on the link below to download a copy of this newsletter:

HOKRA_Newsletter0516.doc HOKRA_Newsletter0516.doc
Size : 41.5 Kb
Type : doc

Heart of Kennington Residents’ Association

(hokresidents@googlemail.com)

AGM Minutes 13/03/2016

  1. Priscilla Baines (PJB) opened the meeting by thanking Edward Hutchison and Tom Bartlett for the exhibition they had prepared and shown to residents before the beginning of the meeting.  There had been debate over aspects of the proposed design, and she hope that these would inform the next iteration of the plans.

Vauxhall Bus Station/Vauxhall Cross proposals

  1. PJB then introduced Helen Irwin (HI) and Michael Keane (MK) and invited them to talk about plans for Vauxhall.  HI began by explaining that she and Pauline Gaunt realised in 2013 that Lambeth planned to knock down the Vauxhall Bus Station, which had only been completed less than ten years earlier.  Many local residents feel that the bus station functions well and provides a safe environment (in the midst of a very busy gyratory system) for people to catch buses and as an interchange.  She explained that they had been trying to persuade Lambeth that it did not need to be demolished.  Lambeth had put forward plans for a new ‘district centre’.  Before the bus station was built, bus stops were located in lots of different places – on Vauxhall Bridge, Wandsworth Road etc.  – and it was very difficult to change buses safely – particularly for people with mobility problems etc.   Their campaign has been amalgamated with the ‘Our Vauxhall’ campaign. 

  2. They feel that it’s the wrong time to demolish the bus station.  The plan for the bus station site, with proposals for a huge high-rise development on the central island site, is already out of date.  While Lambeth and Transport for London think the bus station is too big, campaigners feel that it is very flexible and that the proposed changes will reduce the quality of the service that users of the facility will receive.  HI reported that she had heard today that the formal report of the consultation would be published on 18th March.  The ‘purdah’ period before the Mayoral elections would begin on 21st March and so no decisions would be taken till after 5th May.  They had been in discussion with Kate Hoey MP and Caroline Pidgeon.

  3. Michael Keane (MK) began by explaining that there had previously been three local interest groups – those who wanted to save the bus station, those interested in road safety and cycling and those with an interested in how the public realm was developed.  This issue had effectively forced those three interests together.  

  4. Michael indicated that he always based his position on evidence.  From his analysis TfL’s own figures did not support the Lambeth/TfL proposals, which were to create a ‘district centre’ with two way traffic.  Underlying the proposals was the sale of the so-called ‘island site’.  MK explained that a small group of people from ‘Our Vauxhall’ had come up with a different idea that would get traffic through Vauxhall much more quickly, while the Lambeth/TfL plan would cause greater delays to buses and to car journeys. 

Chairman’s report

  1. PJB thanked HI and MK for their helpful presentations, and their contribution to the wider debate.  She went on to present her report, beginning by referring people to the minutes of last year’s AGM, which were approved. 

  2. PJB began by reminding residents that the Association was seeking to minimise the need for any hard-copy deliveries by hand which were onerous and time-consuming.  She therefore encouraged people to provide their email addresses, which would be used for routine updates and information sharing.  Hand deliveries would be made twice per year, including for the AGM (to ensure we complied with our constitution).  This would ensure that information was shared with people without easy email access, or for newcomers.

Northern Line Extension

  1. PJB recognised that TfL and FLO (Ferrovial Laing O’Rourke) had been trying hard to keep local people informed about their activities – particularly those at Kennington Green.  This included advance notice of concrete pour overruns, and more general updates.  She reported that she had heard that the tunnel boring machines were being made in France.  The next Community Liaison Group (CLG) was to be held on Thursday, and asked residents to forward any questions they would like raised to her.  Tunnelling was due to start in June.  If there was anyone who wanted to sign a settlement deed with TfL, then it needed to be in place by May at the latest.  In addition to information about the new tunnel, the Residents’ Association had been pursuing TfL about the increased noise and vibration being felt from the Kennington Loop, and would continue to do so.

Cycle Routes

  1. PJB noted that there had been considerable disruption locally over the last 18 months as changes to cycle routes had been put in place.  She hoped that this would improve things for cyclists and that it would reduce accidents.  Part of the change had been the temporary closure of Ravensdon Street at the junction with Kennington Park Road (KPR).  The closure had been extended until October, when there would be further consultation with people affected.  Whilst there had been a lot of bad behaviour by motorists when the bollards were first installed (unlocking and removal followed by dangerous right-hand turns across KPR, which created even more dangerous situations for cyclists using the cycle super-highway).  This had reduced and there had been good responses from TfL (Christian van der Nest) to contact from our ‘bollard monitors’ (thank you to Henry and Damien) who had reported any untoward incidents.  PJC also reported that Magee Street had now reopened following completion of the cycle route and that left turns were possible there.

Trees

  1. PJB gave an update on trees in our streets.  She had been in contact with Dave Paul, Lambeth’s officer dealing with street trees, and though there was no up to date report for this AGM, he had been asked to deal with a number of trees including a sycamore, and the tree outside 38/40 Methley Street.  The Association would continue to chase and would report back in a future newsletter.

Street Care

  1. As a response to reductions in funding our streets are now swept only once every eight weeks.  This causes blocking of drains.  Probably the only solution for now was for people to sweep in front of their own houses.  She reported that one resident regularly tidied up our streets by collecting litter.  Mark was thanked by a round of applause.  PJB reminded residents to wrap food waste well and to put out rubbish sacks on the right day (Monday night after 8 pm for a Tuesday morning collection). 
  2. She reminded residents to contact Lambeth if street lamps were not working.  Each lamp has a number on it and a telephone number to call.  They are generally very responsive.  She also encouraged residents to ring Lambeth Streetcare if any building rubbish – or similar items – is dumped in our street.

Parking

  1. Parking does not seem to have been such a problem recently – or at least has not come to the attention of the Association. 

Kurdish Cultural Centre

  1. PJB reported that the Association understood that the Kurdish Cultural Centre was looking to relocate elsewhere in London, though the building had not yet been sold.  There had been a long-running issue of noise and nuisance at the centre, though generally not caused by the Kurdish group, but rather by groups who hire the hall for use on Sundays and at other times.  She noted that it was important for neighbours to report any noise or nuisance at the time it occurred, with evidence if possible (photos etc).

Planning issues

  1. There had been three significant planning applications in the area: The White Bear pub and theatre on Kennington Park Road, 1-8 Wigton Place, and Kennington Old Town Hall on Kennington Road. 

  2. Young and Co had purchased the White Bear about a year ago and had submitted plans to completely redesign the pub and to move the theatre from the rear of the ground floor, and relocate in a new space on the first floor.  The pub redevelopment included an extension at the back and a new commercial kitchen (there was none at present).  Most importantly, it included plans to install a large seating area in the garden for use by customers – something that had not been allowed under the terms of their licence for the last 20 years.  The planning application had been approved in January 2016.  Young and Co had now submitted a licence application, which included licenced use of the garden.  The Association and local residents had registered objections to the garden’s use.  A hearing was taking place at the Licensing Sub-Committee on Tuesday 15 March and local residents would make representations at that meeting.

  3. The derelict site at 1-8 Wigton Place had been the subject of discussion for many years.  In 2014 approval had been granted for six small mews-style houses (in similar ‘Victorian commercial’ style, similar to the existing buildings in Wigton Place) around a central courtyard.  A subsequent application to extend each of the houses downward to form a full basement was also approved.  During 2015 an application was submitted to extend four of the six houses upwards to create an attic storey.  This was refused by Lambeth.  Subsequently an appeal to the Secretary of State was lodged and a further application made to extend only houses 1&2, backing onto the Kennington Road properties.  Very recently we had learned that the development site had been put up for auction (with planning permission).  It had been withdrawn from the auction since then.

  4. The Kennington Old Town Hall building had been empty since the Countryside Alliance moved out about a year ago.  It had been ‘protected’ by building guardians since then, and local residents in the Kennington Road terrace facing the side of the building had been concerned about noise, smoking and rubbish left out on the upper window sills.  An application had been submitted to Lambeth to convert the building into a ‘tourist hostel’.  The facility would have about 90 ‘bed spaces’ for two or three berth bunks, with a maximum number of beds of over 220.  Residents near to the building were concerned about the density of the proposed development, and potential noise from a bar (indicated in the plans) and from people outside the building smoking.  The Association met with neighbours and submitted an objection on these grounds, and other local residents did so too. In the event, the application was refused as it did not comply with Lambeth’s policies.  We are waiting to see whether a revised proposal along similar lines will be submitted.

 

Constitution

 

  1. PJB reported that the Association had been approached by some residents in the terrace of houses in Kennington Road running from Sally White’s to Milverton Street.  They were interested in joining our Association, given proximity and shared issues etc.  The Committee felt it seemed a sensible and reasonably request and proposed to treat those residents as ‘honorary members’ for the next year and to prepare formal changes of the constitution to allow this from the next AGM.  There was no dissent.

  2. Finally the chairman reminded residents that the Friends of Kennington Park was still chaired by our former chairman, Gordon Johnston.  PJB was the chair of the Friends of Durning Library.  The Library had had a reprieve as had the Tate, South Lambeth. 

Treasurer’s Report

  1. Our treasurer, Hilary Schofield, had had to give apologies tonight.  Stephen Waring (secretary) reported on her behalf that the bank balance was a healthy £1568.63 thanks to good weather for the summer party. As agreed at the AGM last year, the Association was hoping to buy some trees and the reason funds were so high is that, despite the hours Priscilla spent chasing, Lambeth did not seem to be able to plant them.  It hds been pleasing to be able to support Secret Santa, Charlie’s Patch and Roots & Shoots who were always very helpful with tables for the party.

Neighbourhood Watch

  1. Andy Furnival, who leads for the Committee on Neighbourhood Watch, had also had to give apologies, but Dan Brown (DB)reported in his place.  Our area was generally safe, when compared to other parts of the borough.  Police had been concentrating efforts on anti-social behaviour. There had been issues of drug dealing in Kennings Way.  Police were doing patrols on horses.  DB noted that there had been fewer groups hanging about on our streets.  There had been disturbance from a ‘rave’ held in a building in Whitgift Street recently which had made the national news.  There had also been a burglary of a property undergoing renovation in Ravensdon Street where builders’ tools had been stolen.  The police were promoting a ‘cuppa with a copper’ around Kennington.  DB reminded residents of the importance of ensuring windows were closed when houses were unoccupied, especially as the weather gets warmer.  If you are aware of any concerns, particularly any anti-social behaviour or attempted or actual burglary etc. please do let Andy Furnival know, but do contact the police direct should you witness anything.

Summer Party

  1. The summer party will be held this year on 18 June.  There will be activities for children.  Residents should treat this as the initial call for volunteers. 

  2. Finally PJB thanked all members of the committee for their work and support during the year.  She gave a special thanks to Robert Buxton, who had left the area last summer after many years of help with Neighbourhood Watch, the summer party, the website, the Gardens Society and most recently, the planters in Aulton Place.  Andy Furnival was following valiantly in Robert’s footsteps on Neighbourhood Watch. 

Election of chairman and committee for 2016/2017

  1. PJB announced the election of the chairman and committee, noting that under the constitution adopted in 2011, only the chairman and other committee members are elected; the secretary and treasurer are chosen from among the committee membership). She stood aside and Stephen Waring took the chair for the election of the chairman.  He indicated that Priscilla Baines had agreed to offer herself for re-election as chairman.  The nomination was made and seconded and approved unanimously by those present.

  2. After resuming the chair, PJB said that the following members of the committee offered themselves for re-election:

Henry Ashwin

Adam Barriball

Daniel Brown

Jane Leonard

Hilary Schofield

Stephen Waring

    • Andrew Furnival and Harry Briggs offer themselves for election to the committee.  All were elected unopposed. 

Any other business

  1. There was no other business and the meeting was closed.

To download a copy of the AGM Minutes, or a copy of the AGM Annual Report, please click on the links below:

HOKRA_AGM_AnnualReport_2016.doc HOKRA_AGM_AnnualReport_2016.doc
Size : 29 Kb
Type : doc
HOKRA_AGM_Minutes_140316.docx HOKRA_AGM_Minutes_140316.docx
Size : 26.484 Kb
Type : docx

Heart of Kennington Residents’ Association

(hokresidents@googlemail.com)

December 2015 newsletter

A warm welcome to all our new arrivals in the area and a very happy Christmas to everyone.

Save the datesour AGM and the summer party. The committee has agreed that our 2016 annual general meeting should be on Monday 14 March 2016, a couple of weeks earlier than usual because Easter is very early (27 March) and the Durning library will not be available on 21 March. The summer party will be on 18 June 2016 so please save those dates. We want another good party!

Committee membership. The committee has decided to co-opt Harry Briggs, of 2 Stannary Street, who is very interested in the proposed development by OAKDA of the Oval gasholder site. Harry has taken on the considerable task of attending meetings of the KOV Planning Forum which is considering the OAKDA proposals and working towards a neighbourhood plan for this area; we are very grateful to him. He and Nicholas Boys-Smith of Create Streets gave an interesting presentation at the KOV Forum on 2 December about their alternative proposals for the OAKDA site.

Road works from the Northern Line extension and new cycle routes.Traffic congestion from the works for the Northern Line extension beside Kennington Green and the preparations for the new cycle routes at the Oval junction has diminished a little. Work on the cycle routes should finish in February 2016; the NLE work is also on schedule despite problems caused mainly by unmarked services in the area. The pinch point in Kennington Road beside Kennington Green will remain but the yellow box at the Windmill Row junction has helped pedestrians there. Traffic build-up still happens in Kennington Lane, particularly northbound, but the pedestrian crossings have been more clearly marked. The road works at Elephant and Castle have nearly finished so Kennington Lane could improve. TfL and Flo, the NLE contractors, have been very good about notifying us about anything untoward. The quarterly Community Liaison Group meetings are generally useful and the monthly traffic meetings will continue for the time being.

Contrary to what we were told at one point by Lambeth, the junction between Magee Street (which runs from Bowling Green Street to Kennington Park Road) and Kennington Park Road is now open to traffic. It is therefore possible to turn northbound into Kennington Park Road at that point.

Settlement deeds and tunnelling work. If you live in an affected property and decided to ask for a settlement deed, you should have received two copies, both of which you need to sign and return to TfL for sealing. TfL have now confirmed that tunnelling for the step plate junctions should start around June 2016 and defects surveys will start before that, so you are advised to return the signed deeds, if you have not already done so, by the end of January 2016. Tunnelling on the main stretches of the new lines will be from near Battersea Power Station and will not start until early in 2017.

Closure of Ravensdon Street/Kennington Park Road junction. TfL have decided, with the committee's agreement, to extend the trial closure of the junction of Ravensdon Street and Kennington Park Road. The trial started in April 2015 and TfL have explained that when the Oval Triangle works are completed in about March 2016, there will be follow up traffic surveys approximately 6 months later to see how traffic patterns have re-established, probably around September 2016. Once the surveys are complete, that will be a good moment for a final consultation on the permanent decision for Ravensdon Street as there will be more data to consider. That seemed to the committee to be a sensible approach and traffic in our streets seems to have settled down.

Kurdish Cultural Centre. The owners of the Centre decided from the end of June to stop hiring the building to the church that was the major source of the noise and other disturbances in Stannary Street. That has been a great relief for the immediate neighbours. The Centre hopes to sell the building, although that may take some time.

Charlie's Patch. Thanks to those residents who helped to put Charlie’s Patch to bed for the winter. It is still looking very good and thanks also to those who have helped with watering which has been much needed. The Association has donated £100 towards the upkeep of the Patch and new planting in the spring.

Aulton Place Planters. Are there any volunteers to look after the planters in Aulton Place now that Steve Dawson has moved away? They need watering, occasional replanting and a bit of general tlc. An opportunity for any keen gardeners – please tell Priscilla Baines if you are interested. We can contribute towards any planting etc costs.

Street trees. We have already reminded Lambeth about their promise to remove the dead hawthorns in Methley and Ravensdon Streets and the over-large sycamore outside 21 Methley Street this autumn. The occupants of 38 and 40 Methley Street have also asked for the tree outside their houses, which is an alder and not the birch we thought, to be removed as it is not a suitable species. Lambeth's tree officer says we should not be too worried about trees close to telephone wires as they can apparently live together reasonably well. If you do have problems, contact BT first as they prefer to do that sort of trimming themselves.

Noise. It is the party season so please consider your neighbours and remember that sound travels between our houses as well as into the streets and gardens. If you have parties, they should end at a reasonable hour and not disturb your neighbours. Lambeth's noise team is vigilant and can be summoned if noise levels are too high or go on too late at night.

Neighbourhood Watch. Our crime figures are still low but properties that are unoccupied while owners are away are always at risk. Please ensure that your windows are properly secured and that any accessible ground floor windows are closed at night as well as when properties are unoccupied. Those of you who are around should keep an eye on neighbouring properties, particularly over Christmas/New Year when many properties are unoccupied, and report any suspicious activities to the police (999 for emergencies, otherwise 101) and our coordinator, Andy Furnival (20 Aulton Place, e-mail andrewfurnival@hotmail.com). They should also be notified if you have been a victim of any local crime or see criminal activity in the area.

Rubbish collection. Our rubbish is normally collected on Tuesday mornings at varying times, white/orange sacks for recycling and black ones for household waste. If possible, put your rubbish out early on Tuesday morning rather than the night before as the foxes and cats are currently very active. In any case, please do not put rubbish out for collection until after 8.00 pm on Monday nights and wrap any food waste securely. Bottles and any food containers sent for recycling should be properly rinsed and any contaminated containers should be put with the household waste. Bulky waste and garden waste, for which there are charges, are collected separately – ring 7926 9000 or e-mail streetcarecallcentre@lambeth.gov.uk to arrange collection. Garden waste is collected on the same day as the other rubbish.

If you use a bin of any kind (we are not issued with wheelie bins as most of us have no off-street storage for them), please do not leave it on the pavement once the rubbish has been collected. Our pavements are narrow and the bins cause a real nuisance. We do not have a separate food waste system here so do not ask for a bin as they are unlikely to be collected.

E-mail addresses. We agreed at the last AGM that we would no longer send hard copies of the newsletter to anyone other than the few residents that we know do not have e-mail. We now have e-mail addresses for well over half our residents and if you have neighbours who are not on our address list, please tell them to contact the e-mail address above. We do not pass on e-mail addresses to other organisations or individuals.

--- 

Priscilla Baines,
Chairman,
Heart of Kennington Residents' Association

Heart of Kennington Residents’ Association

(hokresidents@googlemail.com)

July 2015 Newsletter

A Warm Welcome to All Our New Arrivals in the Area

Summer party. Despite the worst efforts of the weather, which opened the proceedings with a heavy downpour, the sun shone for some of the time and there was a very good turnout for the summer party on 20 June. The acoustic band organised by Milverton Street resident, Dom James, was tuneful and very popular, we sold all the food and cakes, not to mention drink, and a lot of raffle tickets. Thanks once again to Barnaby and Natasha for the wonderful slow roast pork and to all who helped with the cakes, barbecue and bar, the generous donors of the raffle prizes and those who did such a good job of selling raffle tickets. The treasurer had a fine collection of soggy banknotes to dry afterwards but we made a profit of just under £700. Any suggestions for spending the money for the benefit of the local community will be gratefully received (see e-mail address above). In the past we have funded replacement of trees in our streets, donations to support planting in Kennington Park and Christmas contributions to Secret Santa hampers for local families in need.

Committee membership. One of our longer-serving committee members, Robert Buxton, is soon moving away from the area to the delights of rural Kent. We will miss him and Steve (and Bertie) greatly as they have been excellent neighbours – our grateful thanks for everything they have done. Andy Furnival, of 20 Aulton Place, has agreed to be co-opted onto the committee to replace Robert and he has also agreed to become our Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator (see below).

Northern Line extension and new cycle routes. The works for the Northern Line extension beside Kennington Green and the preparations for the new cycle routes at the Oval junction have between them caused a lot of traffic congestion in the area. At a meeting of the NLE's Kennington Green Community Liaison Group on 29 June, residents voiced numerous complaints. The chair, Councillor Jane Edbrooke, arranged a site meeting on 13 July for local residents with Val Shawcross (our GLA member and chair of the Transport Committee) and various Transport for London officials to see if the traffic management arrangements could be improved. TfL and the NLE contractors are looking at various possibilities but there will still be a pinch point in Kennington Road beside Kennington Green, so the traffic is likely to continue to build up there. They have promised to try to find ways of keeping the Windmill Row and Kennington Cross junctions clear to make the crossings safer for pedestrians.

Closure of Ravensdon Street/Kennington Park Road junction. As part of the Oval junction cycle route changes, there is a six-month trial closure of the junction of Ravensdon Street and Kennington Park Road to prevent rat-running through our streets. The trial started in April, initially with only temporary barriers which proved all too easy for drivers to remove, with dangerous results for cyclists and lots of illegal right turns into Kennington Park Road. After several weeks of chaos, TfL agreed to put in place some more permanent bollards that the emergency services could still remove if necessary. Within a few days one bollard was deliberately knocked over, but since then the traffic seems to have settled down. There has been a noticeable reduction in traffic trying to get through although a few vehicles are still trying to avoid the Kennington Road works. TfL have said that they will monitor traffic flows and we will keep the pressure for that to be done at the end of the trial. We have also reminded TfL of the need for better signage (indicating that there is no through route to Kennington Park Road) at the entrances to our streets.

As part of the cycle route changes, Magee Street (between Bowling Green Street and Kennington Park Road) is now permanently closed at the Kennington Park Road junction. It is therefore no longer possible to turn into Kennington Park Road at that point.

Kurdish Cultural Centre. The owners of the Centre decided from the end of June to stop hiring the building to the church that was the major source of the noise and other disturbances in Stannary Street. That will be a real relief for the immediate neighbours. The building is also probably going to be sold, although that may take some time.

Charlie's Patch. Thanks to those residents who once again helped in April to get Charlie’s Patch ready for the summer. It is still looking very good and thanks also to those who have helped with watering which has been much needed. Please keep up the good work.

Aulton Place Planters. The planters in Aulton Place have been stocked and look very attractive, thanks to Steve Dawson. They too need watering, especially after Robert and Steve move away.

Street trees. Lambeth have promised to remove the dead hawthorns in Methley and Ravensdon Streets and the over-large sycamore outside 21 Methley Street this autumn. We will remind them nearer the time. We have also asked for the two or three trees that are interfering with telephone wires to be trimmed. Lambeth have said that for the first time for several years there is a (small) budget for new trees and we have asked for some to fill the various gaps.

Noise. Please consider your neighbours and remember that sound travels. If you use your garden in the evenings, try to keep voices down and do not play loud music. If you have parties, they should end at a reasonable hour and not disturb your neighbours.

Neighbourhood Watch. Our crime figures are still low but properties that are unoccupied while owners are on holiday are always at risk. Please ensure that your windows are properly secured and that any accessible ground floor windows are closed at night as well as when properties are unoccupied. Those of you who are around should keep an eye on neighbouring properties and report any suspicious activities to the police (999 for emergencies, otherwise 101) and our coordinator, Andy Furnival (20 Aulton Place, e-mail andrewfurnival@hotmail.com, mobile: 07957 396790). They should also be notified if you have been a victim of any local crime or see criminal activity in the area.

Rubbish collection. Our rubbish is normally collected on Tuesday mornings at varying times, white/orange sacks for recycling and black ones for household waste. Please do not put rubbish out for collection until after 8.00 pm on Monday nights and wrap any food waste securely. Bottles and food containers sent for recycling should be properly rinsed and any contaminated containers should be put with the household waste. Bulky waste and garden waste, for which there are charges, are collected separately – ring 7926 9000 or e-mail streetcarecallcentre@lambeth.gov.uk to arrange collection. Garden waste is collected on the same day as the other rubbish.

If you use a bin of any kind (we are not issued with wheelie bins as most of us have no off-street storage for them), please do not leave it on the pavement once the rubbish has been collected. Our pavements are narrow and the bins cause a real nuisance.

E-mail addresses. We agreed at the last AGM that we would no longer send hard copies of the newsletter to anyone other than the few residents that we know do not have e-mail. We now have e-mail addresses for well over half our residents and if you have neighbours who are not on our address list, please tell them to contact the e-mail address above. We do not pass on e-mail addresses to other organisations or individuals.

--

Priscilla Baines,
Chairman,
Heart of Kennington Residents' Association

Heart of Kennington Residents' Association

May 2015 newsletter

Chairman: Priscilla Baines

E-mail: pjbaines@gmail.com

Reminder - summer party on 20 June 2015
6.00 - 8.30 pm at the corner of Methley and Radcot Streets.

We hope you have already saved the date. The committee has been preparing - a great band has been arranged, courtesy of Dom James of Milverton Street, the food and drink are under control (and yes, there will be that slow roast pork plus the usual barbecue), the bunting will go up a week before to remind you and we are looking forward to seeing everyone there. All residents welcome and please bring guests if you want.

We have already had quite a few volunteers to help with the bar, barbecue, cake stall and raffles but more will be very welcome. If you have not already signed up and want to help, please tell Stephen Waring (waring.stephen@gmail.com) and tell him if you want a particular time-slot. He will circulate a rota to helpers a few days before.

Cakes to Jane Leonard (6 Milverton) on the morning if possible. If you want your plate back afterwards, please put a label underneath with your name and address.

Residents’ Association officers and committee. Thanks to everyone who attended our AGM on 23 March and heard a presentation from Jennifer Galvin of Lambeth Council and Erin McDermott of Berkeley Homes about the re-development of the Oval gasholder site (OAKDA).

Priscilla Baines was re-elected as chairman and Henry Ashwin, Adam Barriball, Robert Buxton, Jane Leonard, Hilary Schofield and Stephen Waring were re-elected to the committee. Andrew Ellis, who has left the area, has been replaced by Dan Brown (3 Ravensdon Street). Stephen Waring has agreed to continue to serve as secretary and Hilary Schofield as treasurer. The minutes are available on the Association’s website.

Since the AGM, Robert Buxton has resigned from the committee as he too will be leaving the area. He has been our Neighbourhood Watch coordinator, party barbecuer, website manager and many other things for quite a few years and we will miss him and his partner Steve Dawson greatly. Good luck in their new life in rural Kent. Andy Furnival (20 Aulton Place) has been co-opted to replace Robert on the committee.

Settlement deeds for properties affected by the Northern Line extension. You have until 1 June to tell TfL if you want a settlement deed for your property. We are still trying to get answers from TfL to various questions, so are going to ask them not to be too rigid about their deadline. We will tell you as soon as we get any more answers.

Closure of Ravensdon Street. The closure of the Ravensdon Street/Kennington Park Road junction to vehicles (but not cyclists) is a six-month experiment following the decision in January to keep the ban on the left turn at the Kennington Road/Kennington Park Road junction opposite the post office. After some initial teething problems, there has been a noticeable reduction in traffic using our streets, even though the warning notices outside the Tommyfield at the end of Cleaver Street and beside Sally White keep being removed and it takes time to replace them.

Many of you will have noticed that the temporary barriers to close Ravensdon Street at the Kennington Park Road end keep being moved so that traffic can get through. The main offenders seem to be black cab and minicab drivers and various local residents have been very vigilant in replacing the barriers. TfL have agreed to provide some fixed (but still temporary) bollards which will be much harder to remove and we hope that will solve the problem. They should be in place within the next week.

Kurdish Cultural Centre. With the help of local councillors, we have been urging Lambeth to take action about the frequent noise and other disturbances caused by events at the Kurdish Cultural Centre, particularly at weekends. We have just heard that as a result of complaints from neighbours about a recent event, the Centre has been found to be in breach of various regulations and there will be legal action. If similar disturbances occur in future, please notify the Lambeth noise team at the time and keep a record (numbers to call below).

Trees. We are still nagging Lambeth about the promised new and replacement trees which have not appeared. Some of those planted last year have survived against the odds and two in Stannary Street that died have been replaced by the suppliers. We will keep up the pressure but unfortunately trees seem low on the list of priorities after the latest round of expenditure cuts.

‘Charlie’s Patch’ (on the corner of Bowden and Methley Streets). Thanks to those who helped Cleaver Square residents with the annual spring-clean of Charlie’s patch which is again looking wonderful. It is very helpful if those who live nearby can keep an eye on the plants and water any that look dry.

Noise. With the arrival of warmer weather people tend to use their gardens more, especially in the evenings and at weekends. Please be considerate of your neighbours, remember that sound travels out of doors, and that your neighbours are entitled to a quiet night's sleep. Parties should end at reasonable hours and noise levels should be kept down at all times. If you are bothered by noisy events, you should ring Lambeth council's noise team: 020 7926 6111 (9.00 am - 5.00 pm) and 020 7926 5999 (8.00 pm to 4.00 am). If the noise persists, particularly at night, or there are serious street disturbances, you can call the police (101) but that is a last resort and they normally have other priorities so are unlikely to attend.

Security. With the warmer weather, please take proper precautions to secure your property and alert your neighbours if you will be away. Do not leave any windows, especially those facing onto the street, open when your property is unoccupied and close all lower windows at night. Lock your bikes even when off the street and make sure that garden sheds etc are properly secured.

Neighbourhood Watch. We do not yet have a new co-ordinator to replace Robert Buxton so for the time being please notify the chairman (Priscilla Baines, 11 Ravensdon Street, telephone 020 7820 0764 or pjbaines@gmail.com) as well as the police if you have been a victim of any local crime or see criminal activity in the area. Please also make sure that you do not leave valuables in your car as car crime is still common. To report a crime to the local police, ring 101.

Rubbish collection. The usual reminder, particularly to new arrivals, that rubbish collection day is Tuesday. Times vary but usually by around 11.00 am. Lambeth council ask that we do not put rubbish out for collection until after 8.00 pm on Monday nights and that we wrap any food waste securely. Please do not put rubbish of any kind out at other times as it encourages the foxes, cats, squirrels and crows to attack the bags and spread litter. Recycling should be in the orange or white sacks supplied by Lambeth and normal household waste in black sacks.

Our houses do not have adequate off-street storage so we cannot have wheelie bins. As our pavements are narrow, if you use a bin of any kind, please remove it from the pavement immediately after the rubbish has been collected.

Bulky waste and garden waste, for which there are charges, are collected separately, garden waste on Tuesday mornings – ring 7926 9000 or e-mail streetcarecallcentre@lambeth.gov.uk to arrange bags for garden waste and for collection of bulky waste.

Communications with residents. Doing hand deliveries to those addresses for which we do not have e-mail addresses is very time-consuming and not always reliable. At the AGM we asked those present if they would accept our using only e-mail in future, provided we continued paper deliveries to those few residents that do not have e-mail. There was general agreement that we should do that but that the committee should work out how best to cover the properties for which we do not have e-mail addresses.

The committee has agreed that in future we should use e-mail for most communications but that we will make occasional paper deliveries to everyone, for example to notify residents about the AGM. We currently have e-mail addresses for over half our residents and obviously it would help if we had more. If you know any neighbours who are not on the e-mail address list and want to get communications from the Association, please urge them to send me their details, including their postal address. We do not pass on e-mail addresses to other organisations or individuals. We will of course continue to do hand deliveries to those residents that we know do not have e-mail at all.

See you at the party!

Priscilla Baines

--
Priscilla Baines,
Chairman,
Heart of Kennington Residents' Association

Januaury 2015: Oval & Kennington Development Plan

Berkeley Homes and Lambeth Council are developing a master plan for the Oval and Kennington Development Area (OAKDA); on and around the site of the old gas works. 

The Oval Gas Works were decommissioned in 2014. This presents an opportunity to review the gas holders and surrounding sites for various new uses, while recognising the industrial and visual heritage of the gas holders themselves.

OAKDA is currently sending out leaflets to residents and businesses in the area to start to engage on the project.  A series of workshops and feedback sessions are planned. 

You can contact OAKDA  at:

Web: www.oakda.co.uk  Email: info@oakda.co.uk   Phone: 020 8786 6230


 The OAKDA Newsletter number 1. January 2015

15 01 15 - OAKDA no1.pdf 15 01 15 - OAKDA no1.pdf
Size : 613.73 Kb
Type : pdf

December 2014:  Winter Newsletter 


14 12 23 - HoRA Winter newsletter.docx 14 12 23 - HoRA Winter newsletter.docx
Size : 154.098 Kb
Type : docx

Heart of Kennington Residents’ Association

 

Chairman: Priscilla Baines

 December 2014

E-mail: pjbaines@gmail.com

Christmas 2014 newsletter

A warm welcome to all our new arrivals in the area

and a merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone

Northern Line extension. As you probably know, the Northern Line extension has been given the go-ahead and preparatory work has already started around Kennington Green. We have a copy of the Inspector's report which was released when the decision was announced. If you want to see it, please let me know. The Kennington Green Community Liaison Group, on which we are represented, has already met a couple of times and will get going properly in the new year.

Cycle routes. Everyone should have received a copy of TfL's latest consultation about the consequences of the proposed banned left turn at the Kennington Road/Kennington Park Road junction. If you haven't received it, look at the website (consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/oval) and do respond if you can. Please note that the deadline for responses is 19 January 2015. The committee has already responded jointly with Cleaver Square and a copy is attached.


Guerilla gardening. Thanks to those residents who once again helped in October to put Charlie’s Patch to bed for the winter. It has looked good all summer and we are very grateful to Penny Ritchie Calder and others in Cleaver Square who do the organisation and planning. Watering should not be needed for the time being but it would help if those in the immediate area can keep an eye open for any plants that look as though they need TLC.


Aulton Place Planters. Lambeth have recently provided materials to build planters in Aulton Place that will not only improve the amenity of the area but also reduce the opportunity for antisocial behaviour in the ‘dog-leg’ parts of the street. Thanks to Rob, Steve, Matt, Nick, and Andy in Aulton Place for their construction work. They will do the planting shortly, supported by some funds from the Association.

Street trees. The dead trees in Stannary Street have been replaced and the ones that were planted last summer in Methley and Ravensdon Street are hanging on. Lambeth have assured us that the dead hawthorns in Methley and Ravensdon Streets will be replaced, as will the over-sized sycamore in Methley Street. The Gleditsia on the corner of Radcot and Methley Streets is scheduled for a proper haircut and we will keep up the pressure on Lambeth for that to be done


Neighbourhood Watch. Our crime figures are still low but Christmas is always a high risk time for burglary and car crime. Please ensure that your property and car are secure and that there are no valuables left in your car, particularly over Christmas and the new year when many properties are unoccupied. Those of you who are around should keep an eye on neighbouring properties and report any suspicious activities to the police (999 for emergencies, otherwise 101) and our coordinator, Robert Buxton (Aulton Place, 7582 6689 RobBuxton@btinternet.com). They should also be notified if you have been a victim of any local crime or see criminal activity in the area.

2014 annual general meeting – please save the date. The committee has decided that the 2014 AGM should be on Monday 24 March 2014 in the Durning Library as usual, so put the date in your diaries.

Christmas rubbish collection. Our rubbish is normally collected on Tuesday mornings at varying times, white/orange sacks for recycling and black ones for household waste. That day will not change this year for either Christmas or new year. Lambeth will collect real Christmas trees with the general household waste on our normal collection day in the week beginning 5 January.

Please do not put rubbish out for collection until after 8.00 pm on Monday nights and wrap any food waste securely. Bottles and any food containers sent for recycling should be properly rinsed and any contaminated containers should be put with the household waste. Bulky waste and garden waste, for which there are charges, are collected separately – ring 7926 9000 or e-mail streetcarecallcentre@lambeth.gov.uk to arrange collection. Garden waste is collected on the same day as the other rubbish.

If you use a bin of any kind (we are not issued with wheelie bins as most of us have no off-street storage for them), please do not leave it on the pavement once the rubbish has been collected. Our pavements are narrow and the bins cause a real nuisance.

E-mail addresses. We have e-mail addresses for over half our residents and circulate hard copies of this newsletter to the rest of the 240 households. If you currently receive hard copy and would be willing to receive communications from the Association by e-mail please let me know at the e-mail address above – with your postal address. We do not pass on e-mail addresses to other organisations or individuals.

Our website.

Our website is at www.HeartOfKennington.org and this newsletter will soon be on it. We add other items as they occur, so please do use it.

Merry Christmas again,

Priscilla Baines

 

 

Response to Transport for London by Heart of Kennington Residents' Association and Cleaver Square Residents' Association about consultation on options for street closures

General comments

We have said all along that our very strong preference is for the Kennington Road/Kennington Park Road (KR/KPR) left turn to be retained which would avoid the need to close the Ravensdon Street junction with Kennington Park Road. That remains our position.

We are not convinced by TfL's arguments for banning the left turn at the KR/KPR northbound junction. TfL have claimed that banning the left turn is essential to the traffic light phasing for the whole of the Oval Triangle cycling scheme. They also claim that the arrangements for pedestrians at that junction need to be improved. The KR/KPR junction forms only a very small element at the extreme northern end of the Oval Triangle scheme and it cannot be impossible for the scheme to be redesigned so that the left turn is retained. Experimentation with the traffic light phasing should make it possible to achieve any additional phase that might be needed both for the left turn to be retained and the interests of pedestrians safeguarded.

We support measures to improve cycling safety, but a balanced approach is needed that takes proper account of the needs of all road users. The current proposals do not provide that. There are already numerous overlapping traffic management schemes in the area and no changes should be made until those schemes have been reviewed and the wider impact of the proposed changes properly assessed.

That has only too clearly not yet been done, particularly in relation to the effects of the scheme on traffic movements of all kinds (vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians) in our streets and others in the immediately surrounding area. No account seems to have been taken of the environmental consequences for the neighbourhood of the increased traffic movements and longer vehicle journeys that the scheme will generate.

The two options

Of the two options offered in the latest consultation, we favour Option 2 (the closure of Ravensdon Street), but neither will solve the problems that will be created for residents in our streets and adjacent areas, particularly Kennington Park Road, if the KR/KPR junction left turn is banned. A trial period of six months is anyway much too short as it takes up to two years for navigation software to be updated, so there cannot be a true measure of the effect of the changes within the proposed trial period. It will also not capture the full impact of the construction traffic that will be generated by the Northern Line extension project which will not start until after the six months are over.

 

Option 1 proposes leaving the Ravensdon Street/KPR junction open for a six-month trial period after the Oval Triangle scheme comes into operation, combined with no left turn at the KR/KPR junction. This option has numerous disadvantages as it can only encourage more rat-running through our streets and force many more vehicles to use that junction to get to Kennington Park Road and points beyond.

Any possible reduction in risks to northbound cyclists from vehicles turning left at the KR/KPR junction would be far outweighed by the risks from increased numbers of vehicles using the uncontrolled Ravendson Street/KPR junction. That junction has poor visibility and is very narrow (it is not wide enough to accommodate a vehicle and cyclist at the same time). To encourage vehicle movements there cannot meet TfL's objective of improving cycling safety.

Ravensdon Street is signposted as a cycle route in both directions, including against the direction of the one-way traffic at the end of the street closest to Kennington Park Road. There would be a much greater risk of conflicts with users of the cycle route which crosses Kennington Park Road and the cycling superhighway at the Kennington Park Road/Kennnington Park Place junction.

There are already frequent illegal right turns at the Ravensdon Street/KPR junction by vehicles wanting to turn into Kennington Park Place. That problem can only get much worse if vehicles that would previously have made the left turn at the KR/KPR junction in order to turn into Kennington Park Place try to gain access to Kennington Park Place from Ravensdon Street. In addition, for the next four years there will be a forecast 40+ lorry movements per day at the KPR/KPP junction to gain access to the Northern Line extension construction site at Kennington Park Place. TfL's plans for the Oval Triangle seem to have ignored the effect of those additional traffic movements

Priscilla Baines,

Chairman,

Heart of Kennington Residents' Association

 

We have a new page dedicated to news and updates on the Northern Line extension. Click here